Tuesday, February 1, 2011

We are all Capable


Day 7 in Chiapas....
The president of Mexico, Filipe Caldron, visited the city today. Needless to say the military and police were out in full force, making their presence known. Each intersection had a guard or two posted, and the closer you got to the Centre, checkpoints began to appear.

We had been instructed by Kate and Gary to understand what was expected of us as tourists before we traveled abroad. I look around me and see a class full of capable students who are in tune with the political tones of Chiapas, who know how to read the streets around them.

I appreciate now fully the quality of training I’ve had in international travel. I appreciate that I can see a checkpoint and know that my safety is not at risk, I am not going to be harmed. I know that it is there to make a statement of control. It caters to visually intimidating a certain demographic of the local population. I am noticing low intensity conflict, presence, more and more. I see it reflected back in my own nation. More on that another day.

We visited a community space today…..more a home for anyone. The lady who ran the show had been operating this for two years now; a space where the young men and woman, girls and boys, who laboured on the streets could go to be safe, to get clean, to make food…to belong. Community, as you know, is my favourite word.

I saw a far more direct way of achieving a solution than I am accustomed to back home. Identify the need, and do what you can. I appreciate the life learning that I am receiving here.

This space had about a dozen boys that have come from backgrounds of violence, substance abuse, and street work. Through the understanding that this space is for everyone, that what happens on the street stays on the street, that they are there to express themselves, connect with others, respect themselves….what they have accomplished is wonderful.

It was identified that as these kids are used to working and making money, asking them to stop would be pointless, but this centre is creating a co-op with them…..turning it into a safe storefront where they can sell their street wears. What’s more they plan on creating a community, organic garden. Now they can compete with the market by selling produce. I am inspired.

I found here a place without judgement. I found a place where needs were being met by listening, empowering, and spreading the tools of creation. I saw a demographic that is normally ignored being empowered.

We sat and spoke with the boys about what they liked to do there (many said creative writing….some enjoyed playing with the centre’s two cats). We asked where they were from, where they hoped to go, to become. They were secure in themselves and asked as many questions about us as we did about them. There was a lot of laughter, a lot of community, and they welcomed us in with a group picture.

I have always believed, and still hold true, that the best way to help someone succeed and gain responsibility is to empower them and allow them to live in the reality they wish to achieve. The centre reinforced this for me. Thank you to all involved today.

3 comments:

  1. Hi heather ..... it is dam cold here!!!! great blog thinking of you ... pictures???

    be well off to p/u kids norman k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my Header: Doing what she wants to do and i know she will do it better and better as time goes by. Your Spanish will be there one day of the blue, because you want it and all of your senses are at the ready. Nice to do a Blog, If you please ad me to your list of fans, it will be a pleasure to follow your goings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heather.... hope all is well .....you are missed

    Isaak says hi wants to know when you are comming back??? dad does tooo.

    got the stall at the farmers market... so summer is going to be busy

    great posts to all watcheing and reading ...
    gerat pictures thanks to kristian H.

    Bee safe and have a great adventure

    ReplyDelete